Saturday, December 26, 2009

C25K Week 5/Session 3

*drum roll please*


I ran two miles straight without walking today! YEAH!!! Woo hoo! I did it!

I have never been so in tune to baby steps than with this program. Instead of feeling embarrassed about my distance and how proud I am of accomplishing these (what may seem small to some) miles, I'm completely satisfied and glowing with excitement for how far I've come in 5 weeks. Not to mention, I started the C25K program during the week of Thanksgiving and am continuing to diligently work though all the holidays.

I've been dreading week 5/session 3 of the C25K training program for at least a week now because it was the longest run (without walking) to date. It seemed like such a drastic jump to go from 3/4 mile straight to 2 miles straight within two days. I convinced myself that the creator of the training program must know what he/she is doing since so many people have had success on this program, so I just went with it. Yesterday was supposed to be day three of week 5, but with Christmas and my lack of sleep from festivities, I rescheduled it for this morning.


With my anxiety looming, I stretched, ate a small spoonful of natural peanut butter, grabbed my water bottle and jumped on the treadmill.  I enjoyed every second of the 5 minute brisk warm up walk and then bumped my speed up to 5 mph for a two mile run with no walking. I ran one mile at 5 mph and then bumped down to 4 mph for 1/4 mile. The 1/4 mile at a slightly slower rate was exactly what I needed to make it through without walking. I was able to run the remaining 3/4 mile at 5 mph. :o) Sweet success!!

I don't think I've run even one mile straight through since the 6th or 7th grade, (about 10 years) so this was a huge accomplishment for me. I shouted out in joy when the screen read, "Distance: 2.0" YEAH!!!!!

This set me up for a nice day of (mostly) healthy choices. My tummy was begging for food after the run, so I heated up some left over french toast casserole. This was definitely not the healthiest choice for breakfast, but boy was it yummy! I must rid of the left overs in order to avoid over indulging for the rest of the weekend. Christmas Eve and Christmas was enough for all the goodies!

A few hours after my run, my DH and I took the boat out for a spin. We stopped by Derek's Mimi's house while on the river, where I rode 6.5 miles on her exercise bike. Woo! That felt good. :o)

For lunch, I had leftover turkey, peas and sweet potato casserole from dinner last night.  I had this a little late in the day and am still pretty full, so I'll probably just have a little snack this evening in lieu of dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment