Sunday, November 29, 2009

Bottom of the Barrel

We're scraping the bottom of the barrel for food in our household today.

I was somehow able to scrape together some frozen strawberries, blueberries, ice, soy milk, chunky peanut butter and chocolate protein powder to make a smoothie this morning. Thank goodness I thought to whip this up before walking out the door to Lucy's birthday party, as it held me over and kept me from over indulging in the goodies!

Grocery shopping has been pushed aside for far too long so we had to order a pizza for dinner.  I was given little time to make the healthiest order from Pizza Hut (I know you're laughing , but I think I made a decent choice) and chose a thin crust pizza with light cheese, chopped tomatoes and grilled chicken. You gotta give me some points for creativity on that one! ;-)

Thanksgiving leftovers served us well over the past few days but that has come to an end.  Before I make the trek to the grocery store (remember....I live in the sticks and the closest grocery store is 25 minutes away) I like to make a grocery list to make the most of the trip. For some reason, the task of preparing a grocery list and planning out meals, stresses the heck out of me! I tend to over think the whole thing and give up in frustration.

I've taken a few deep breaths and several breaks from making this weeks list and finally have it completed.  Breakfast, lunch and dinner are all planned out, this way I'll have plenty of healthy options in the house instead of having to scrounge up whatever I can find! Speaking from experience, planning is everything when eating good-for-you food. 

My food goal this week: Include a fruit or veggie at every snack and meal. - Two to three snacks/per day  and three meals/per day.

In addition, I'm going to try some new good-for-you recipes that are (hopefully) going to be full of flavor and requests for seconds by the hubby! ;-)

I'll report back with results (and maybe even a recipe if all goes well) at the end of the week.

Do YOU plan out your meals and make a list before hitting the grocery store, or do you wing it? Tell me in the 'comments' section!

No comments:

Post a Comment